Location: 4655 Border Village Rd, San Ysidro, CA 92173-3105, United States
Start Date & Time: May 1, 2020, 9:30am
End Date & Time: May 1, 2020, 2pm
DSA San Diego, in coalition with ACCE, The San Diego Tenants Union, Anakbayan, & Migrante. Will be executing a caravan demonstration in order to bring awareness to the rent strike movement happening all throughout the state of California.
The Rent Strike is being made in order to get several demands from the State and the City of San Diego. Demands include but are not limited to:
- All publicly owned property and vacant housing units -including luxury unitsneed to be opened up to house currently unhoused people.
- Rent and mortgage payments must be frozen for as long as people are not able to work because of COVID-19, and any rent and mortgage debt accumulated during this period must be forgiven.
- Moratoriums on any process related to evictions and foreclosures must be instituted immediately and remain in place until the spread of coronavirus is no longer a public threat.
- Californians need a guarantee that they will be rehired if they have been laid off, or that their shifts will be restored once isolation orders have been lifted.
- Anyone who is laid off or experiencing a decline in wages must have access to unemployment benefits that cover 100% of that person’s wages before the job decline.
- Californians need an immediate stimulus package that puts cash in people’s hands. We must learn the lessons from the 2008 financial crisis and bail out people -not just businesses.
DSA San Diego’s Demands:
1. Rent Suspension: No Rent Now, No Debt Later:
- The City and County must enact a rent suspension or rent forgiveness policy to protect renters and to prevent future debt and homelessness.
- The rent payment suspension period should be enacted retroactively from April 1, 2020 and remain in effect through the duration of the statewide shelterin-place mandate, or a minimum of 90 days.
- The City and County leadership must do everything within their power to advocate for a state level legislative package providing the same.
2. Support for Unhoused Residents:
To contain the spread of COVID-19, we must immediately provide emergency shelter, expanded services, and reliable information to all unhoused individuals in San Diego.
- Hotel vouchers to allow all unhoused people access to safe, clean and comfortable lodging. Vouchers should be made available to anyone needing shelter, not just individuals who are presenting symptoms.
- Permanent commitment to provide housing for everyone who needs it, not just a temporary measure that will put people right back on the streets when this crisis is over.
- Expanded housing services through an infusion of resources and funding to community health clinics, shelters, and other frontline service providers, to cover staff overtime pay and necessary supplies, like sanitizers, medicine, masks, etc.
- Emergency sanitation sites for people who cannot move indoors. Sanitation sites should include 24-hour restrooms and showers, laundry, hygiene supplies, COVID-19 screening, case worker availability, and disease prevention information.
- End to encampment sweeps, ticketing, and vehicle tows (all practices that criminalize houselessness).
Please join us in our struggle to make housing a basic human right on May 1st and if you wanna sign on in support of the rent strike follow this link! Rent Strike Movement
If you are a DSA member please fill this google form out in order for us to coordinate DSA’s contingent as effectively as possible. DSA San Diego’s “May 1st Caravan” Sign Up Form
DSA San Diego
Event Schedule: May 1, 2020:
- 9:30am: 4655 Border Village Rd, San Ysidro, CA 92173
- 10:30am: “El Super” 3007 Highland Ave, National City, CA 91950
- 11:30am: 1950 Main St, San Diego
- 12pm: 1350 Front St, San Diego
- 12:30pm: 3990 Old Town Rd
- 1pm: 2249 Ulric Rd, San Diego