We can’t meet in person, but we can still have fun! Join your DSA comrades at an online karaoke fundraiser for progressive Assembly candidate Sarah Davis! It’s happening Monday October 12th at 6:00 pm. Sign up here.
Democratic Socialists of America San Diego’s Electoral Working Group has published the following voter guide for the November 3rd, 2020 general election.
- Candidates endorsed by the chapter are presented in RED BOLD TYPE
- The rest are pragmatic voting recommendations, NOT endorsements.
- Not authorized by any candidate or candidate’s committee
- We don’t have a recommendation for President, but Howie Hawkins and Gloria La Riva will be on the ballot.
- 49th Congressional District: Mike Levin
- 50th Congressional District: No recommendation
- 51st Congressional District: No recommendation
- 52nd Congressional District: No recommendation
- 53rd Congressional District: No recommendation
- 39th District: Toni Atkins
- 71st Assembly District: Liz Lavertu
- 75th Assembly District: Kate Schwartz
- 76th Assembly
All hands on deck for a Prop. 15 call for comments!
On Tuesday, Sept. 15th, the San Diego County Board of Supervisors (BOS) will be considering a resolution in opposition to Prop 15. This will be a tough vote but we want to make sure supervisors understand what’s at stake: protecting a corporate tax loophole that benefits a handful of wealthy corporations at the expense of our schools and communities, or investing in our children, our families, and our future.
We need your help! Please email supervisors before the 9 a.m. meeting to let them know you OPPOSE THE RESOLUTION. Also, submit online public comments before the meeting or live public comment during the meeting. You can learn more from this […]
On August 29th at 6:00 pm DSA San Diego will hold a special meeting on giving a Chapter endorsement to two of our members who are running for local offices in North County: Matt Corrales is running for the Vallecitos Water Board, and Terry Corrales is running for the Palomar Health Board. Show your support for socialists on the ballot by coming to the meeting! The meeting will be held on Zoom, and the sign-up url went out by email today (if you don’t see it in Gmail, check your Promotions and Social folders).
On the one hand, millions of Americans have recently lost their employer-sponsored health insurance. On the other hand, we can’t expect a Biden administration to take up Medicare for All. Now is a time to focus on building grassroots support. That’s why DSA San Diego is inviting progressive groups from across San Diego to come together and push the San Diego City Council to pass a resolution in favor of Medicare for All. It can be done, but we’ll need help. We hope you’ll join us on August 30th for a campaign kick off with guest speakers Dr. Bill Honigman, Assembly candidate Sarah Davis, and Brittany Shanahan from Public Citizen. The meeting is public, and we encourage you to share […]
Come join the “Cancel The Rent” Coalition as we put on a Tenants Town Hall in order to educate, mobilize, & inspire the working class in San Diego against the inhumane actions of many landlords & apathetic politicians!!! We will have information on the current eviction moratoriums & your rights as a tenant. We will also have guest speakers and testimonials on the current struggle many tenants are facing in the midst of this COVID-19 pandemic.
If you are interested in coming to the event please fill out this Google Form.
Coalition Partner: DSA-SD, ACCE, The San Diego Tenants Union, PSL, Socialist Alternative, SD-TPOC Colectivo
Hope to see ya’ll there! Solidarity!
By the San Diego Libertarian Socialist Caucus’ Mutual Aid Committee
As socialist organizers, we know that building collective power is relationship building, and mutual aid is a critical component of doing so. At the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic and the shelter-in-place orders, the Libertarian Socialist Caucus recognized an immediate need, as well as an opportunity to build camaraderie, and thus began our Grocery Shopping project.
What has blossomed forth is so much more than the organizers could’ve hoped, thanks to the work of dedicated coordinators, and the people who comprise the network. However, our work is far from over. The worsening COVID-19 crisis in San Diego is taking its toll on working class people. With quarantine being in full […]
Thursday, July 16, 2020, San Diego City Council’s Environment Committee will hold a public comment meeting regarding San Diego’s energy franchise agreement with utility grid operators. Below you can find background information and recommended comments for the event:
DSA San Diego’s Energy Democracy Campaign Committee sent the below letter to the San Diego City Council and city attorney on Sunday, July 12th, 2020.
Dear Council President Gomez and members of San Diego City Council,
As the coordinating committee of DSA San Diego’s Energy Democracy campaign, we write with great frustration over the unfolding process for the City to ratify a new franchise agreement for operation of the City of San Diego’s energy utility(ies). It is unclear how thoroughly each council member has been briefed on the process, as the Environment Committee has not convened since the last official milestone, publication of expressions of interest in utility operation. At that time, DSA San Diego submitted a letter describing our […]
TELL SAN DIEGO CITY COUNCIL:
EXTEND THE EVICTION MORATORIUM
WITH MORE TENANT PROTECTIONS!
- The current moratorium is set to expire on June 30th
- Tenants will owe all accumulated rent debt by September 25th
- More than 1 in 4 San Diegans are still unemployed
- The unemployment benefits from the CARES act expire on July 31st
- SD City Council must invest in tenant protections and to prevent mass homelessness and evictions during a global pandemic
- Extend the eviction moratorium until the state of emergency is lifted
- Extend the payback period to AT LEAST six months after the moratorium expires
- Allow tenants to break their leases if they are not able to pay their rent because of COVID19
This is […]